Wednesday 13 April 2022

2022 reading so far

With my editing full on at the moment with the release of my first novel due at the end of Summer this year, I haven't managed to read many books this so far in 2022 but of those I have, here are my reviews:

1) Lockdown by Peter May


I bought this book in the heart of lockdown and it has taken me until now to finish it. It was slow to start and I thought it might be because of the echoes to our current situation (I found the latest 007 hard to watch for the same reason - too soon), but once the meat of story kicked in, i.e. the investigation of the murder of a little girl who's body is found on a building site, I flew through the book.

The novel weaved the construction of the little girl's face from the remains and the investigation well, with snippets of a sub plot around the MCs family and the disease rampant in the world. 

For me, the story slowed with the sections centred around the health crisis and sung when it was the MC tracking down the killer and the reasons why or the facial reconstruction and connection with the beginnings of the virus.

I'd recommend this book if you feel ready to read something with a world health crisis as a plotline.

8/10

2) Single for the Summer by Mandy Baggot



So now I felt it was time for something light-hearted after the previous novel, and Single for the Summer fit perfectly. A fun romantic read with comedy elements is about Tess Parks who has decided that love isn't for her, so she goes on a girly holiday to Greece with her friend who worries her own boyfriend has someone else on the side,. Both women agree to be single for the holiday. Then Tess meets handsome restaurateur Andras and agrees to fake date him to get his mother off his back.

A perfect fluffy beach read, this is predictable in a cute way yet the descriptions of the girls trips around the island had me feeling like I'd almost gone on a Greek holiday with them.

A fun fluffy read.

8/10

3) Re-read of The Duke and I by Julia Quinn


In readiness for the release of Bridgerton Season 2, I re-read the first in the Bridgerton books which I absolutely love. I've read all of the series and can recommend them all, except perhaps the ninth book which purports to finish off the stories of all the siblings and their mother which was disappointing (rather like Series 2 if I am honest, I felt they did Anthony a disservice as he has far better reasons for his actions in the book, if the storyline is a tad far-fetched). 

If you love Bridgerton the series, you will feel the same about the books, so dive in and enjoy.

10/10

4) The Nightsilver Promise by Annaliese Avery



The fabulous Annaliese Avery has written a magical masterpiece with this gorgeous fantasy. Set in an alternate world, the Empire of Albion, The Nightsilver Promise follows Paisley Fitzwilliam as she discovers her fate is to die before her fourteenth birthday. When her mother goes missing, presumed dead, who is left to protect her Dragon-touched brother Dax?

This book kept me turning the pages with vaults guarded by Dragon Walkers, floating boroughs and a comet that could change everything.

A brilliant and exciting fantasy series, I can't wait to read book two The Doomfire Secret (A Nightsilver Book 2) which is out now.

Highly recommend.

10/10





Now to finish my current book which I am absolutely loving:

What His Wife Knew by Jo Jakeman, an unputdownable thrilling psychological suspense.



Review to follow.



No comments:

Post a Comment