Wednesday 20 April 2022

Retreat West newsletters

 With details of competitions and more:


 

Hi, it's Gaynor, here with your monthly writing newsletter.

Firstly, thank you to the readers who reached out in solidarity after my last newsletter where I shared my novel-writing woes. I have picked myself up and am cracking on (I can't promise that will be the last Easter pun today).

By the time this newsletter reaches you I will be fully immersed in the school holidays with very little time to sit and write, so instead, I'll be doing that classic writer's strategy - having some 'thinking time'. I love making mood boards, playlists, seeking out advice books, watching TV shows that have a similar vibe to the book I want to write. It all seeps in and I do feel it helps me to have these more immersive times where I'm soaking creativity in, rather than sitting at my laptop trying to meet a daily word count.

Right now, thanks to a horrible bout of coronavirus, I'm not too much further along with my novel, I swing from 'this is a terrible idea' to 'I can make this into a good book' but who knows where it will land in the end?

Whatever you're working on, I wish you all the best with it 

Gaynor x

 

 

 

Flash Fiction: This month I have chosen Extremities by KM Elkes. I cannot resist that first line! It's describing something awful and gruesome but in such a detached, matter-of-fact way and it's perhaps not what we might of think of as typical flash this days, which tends to be more lyrical and experimental. It's certainly an odd story but it's full of character, and a lingering final image that has stayed with me since it won first prize in Bath Flash Fiction way back in 2018. 

Short Story: This month I have chosen Malibu Barbie by Paul McVeigh - a Christmas story in April, why not? I like to share this story because, similar to the one above, it has such a strong voice and sense of character. There's loads of dialogue and it's sweet and funny and poignant. It's so hard to pull off this kind of conversational writing - I think it's harder to do than a more 'literary' style but McVeigh does it so well. His novel, The Good Son, is also well worth seeking out if you haven't already. 

 

 


Write a story that features the feel of crab claws

Write a story that takes place in a stately home

Write a story that features the sound of sirens

Write a story about someone who lives off-grid

 

 


If you subscribe to our newsletter, belong to our community, or follow us on social media, and have some writing news to share, then please let me know on gaynor@retreatwest.co.uk and I'll try to include it

Diana Powell has won third prize in the Bedford Short Story competition, judged by Patrick McGuinness.

Polis Louizou has his folk-horror novella, A Good Year, published by Fairlight Books 

Finnian Burnett has had a flash published at Free Flash Fiction 

Kate Simblet has had a flash published at Pigeon Review 

(Both of the above grew out of Friday Flashing prompt sessions so we're super proud of them!)

Rachel Canwell has had a story published in Virtual Zine 

 

 

 

The Moth nature writing prize is open for entries until September 

The Bureau Dispatch is open for submissions until June - and it pays! 

The Doris Gooderson Short Story Competition is open for entries until July 

Stylist Magazine is open for short stories - up to 1000 words and paid

Tickets have gone on sale for our 1 day online short story festiva

The Faversham Literary Festival Short Story competition is open for entries until July 

That's all for this month,

Happy writing! 

Gaynor 

 

Copyright © 2022 Retreat West, All rights reserved.


Our mailing address is:

Retreat West

Apartment 3735 Chynoweth House

Trevissome Park

Truro, Cornwall TR4 8UN

United Kingdom


 

Monthly Micro shortlisted stories are live


There are 10 brilliant nonsense-themed stories on the website that need your vote for the winner of the People's Prize.

Voting closes at 23.59 (UK time) on 25th April and winners will be announced on 26th April.

 

 

2022 Themed Flash Competitions


All the new themes, deadlines and judges are now online for the whole year. Winners get online publication, cash, and a professional recording of their story. Plus they are eligible for our new annual Retreat West Awards.
 

 

 

 

 

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY



Our monthly webinar schedule is now in place for most of the year and between now and the summer we're really looking forward to these great events:



 see all our membership packages here - they start at just £25 for the year! 

 

Copyright © 2022 Retreat West, All rights reserved.


Our mailing address is:

Retreat West

Apartment 3735 Chynoweth House

Trevissome Park

Truro, Cornwall TR4 8UN

United Kingdom




No comments:

Post a Comment