Wednesday 17 June 2020

Writer's Digest University

With details of courses starting this week and more:







Text Box:
This week we share our April 2020 interview with Chigozie Obioma and we reveal the cover of our upcoming July/August issue.
Text Box:
The An Orchestra of Minorities author discusses the most challenging parts of penning his Booker Prize–shortlisted novel and the Igbo culture that influenced the story in this April 2020 interview by Simon Van Booy.
What was your childhood like? Did you grow up around books or was literature something you discovered on your own?
Last year I wrote an essay for The New York Times about how I came to writing through a delirious love for reading books. It was for me a big discovery when, one evening when I was about eight or so, I discovered that the secret to the stories my parents had been telling me, acting as though they were their inventions, had been culled from books. From then onward, I read voraciously, as though my life depended on it.
How did you decide that you wanted to write fiction? Was there a moment or an event, or was it a gradual pull toward living the life of an artist?
I think it was borne more from envy and a great lusting after the lives of the writers whom I read. I recall always asking my parents, with great sadness, when I would be able to write books like the writers I was reading, and they would reply simply: when you are older. But I could not wait! I wrote my first novel when I was 12 years old. That novel, The Dwarf King, soon became lost. I probably would have published it by now. Read the full article...
Text Box:
Text Box:
What's New
Text Box:
Here are 63 grammar rules for writers to assist them with better writing skills. Each rule includes a quick breakdown and links to a post that goes into more detail with examples. This list will be updated with new rules as we add them to the site. Read More...
Text Box:
Get a sneak peek at the July/August 2020 issue of Writer's Digest, which was perhaps not the best timing for a travel writing themed issue. But we made it work! Read More...
Text Box:
Text Box:
Write a scene or story that includes a destiny predicted for the future. Does the fortune turn out to be true? Why or why not? Does a character work to change their fate, or go along with the prophecy? Do they believe in the prediction at first? Read More...
Text Box:
The agents of Talcott Notch Literary Services share the secrets of creating a story structure that works—no matter what your genre—in this entertaining and informative online event. Hurry, this workshop starts next Monday! Learn More...
Text Box:
Film executives, agents, directors, producers, and all those reading your script demand that your characters “speak” to them. Susan Kouguell shares her top 10 tips for writing dynamic dialogue. Read More...
Text Box:
Social media is a large part of our world today and it's growing by the minute. Discover how to use social media to your advantage in this workshop. You’ll learn how to create a profile on social networks, decide which platforms are right for you, and build a sense of community with others online. Learn More...
Text Box:

Amy Jones

Amy Jones is the editor-in-chief of Writer’s Digest and the former managing content director for WD Books. Prior to joining the WD team, Amy was the managing editor for North Light Books and IMPACT Books. Find her on Twitter at @AmyMJones_5
Text Box:
 
 
Facebook Link
 
 
Twitter Link
 
 
Pinterest Link
 
 
Instagram Link
 
 
YouTube Link
 
 







No comments:

Post a Comment