Tuesday 10 October 2017

Retreat West newsletter

With a call out for stories and volunteers, here is the latest Retreat West newsletter:


           

, please donate a story and your time to help fight climate change

You may already know that as well as writing fiction and running Retreat West I'm also a freelance journalist writing about environmental sustainability. I've been working in this field for almost 20 years and in that time I'm sad to say that things have got a lot worse. But they've also got a lot better in terms of the creative solutions that people are coming up with and the awareness of the issues we face.

Two of my most recent articles on the subject: The vanishing islands of the Pacific and the very sobering 2 billion climate refugees within 83 years, as well as two more that are being published soon about food security and vanishing coral reefs, have made me realise I need to do more to help.

So inspired by the amazing work the Stories for Homes project has done to raise money for Shelter, I'm helping in the only way I know how. Through storytelling. I'm calling for submissions for short stories and flash fictions in the newly emerging cli-fi genre, which is what my new novel fits into. They will be gathered into an anthology and the profits will be donated to the Earth Day Network, which is working to diversify, educate and activate the environmental movement worldwide. It also does tangible things like planting trees, lobbying governments, and tackling corporations who are some of the biggest threats to the environment.

You can find all of the submission details here if you would like to appear in the anthology. There's also an option to make a £2 donation when you submit, which will be sent to the Earth Day Network once the submission deadline has passed.

I'm also looking for volunteers to help me with this project as it's a bit too big to handle it all alone. I'd like help with reading submissions and choosing which stories go in the anthology, editing, cover design, proofreading, promotion and marketing. If you'd like to be involved email me to let me know how you can help.

Please also share this far and wide with all the writers you know.

I look forward to reading the stories and working together to help turn things around.

Amanda x
Copyright © 2017 Retreat West, All rights reserved.
        

Our mailing address is:
Retreat West
Apt 3735 Chynoweth House
Trevissome Park
Truro, Devon TR4 8UN
United Kingdom

           




No comments:

Post a Comment