Monday 19 April 2021

Retreat West newsletters

 Here are the latest Retreat West newsletters:

Hi again it's Gaynor here, with the fourth of my monthly newsletters, and this time I'm looking at the elusive voice 

 

Always remember, writing advice should be taken with a pinch of salt, what works for one person will be impossible for another, but I hope you find something here to inspire you! If there are particular topics you would like me to write about in the future, then give me a shout on gaynor@retreatwest.co.uk 

 

A short while ago I thought, ooh, I’ll write the next Retreat West newsletter on ‘voice’, because agents and publishers are always asking for voice. And then I realised, I don’t actually know what it means. I have my own idea of what it means, but is what the agents mean? Is it what other writers mean? Well, apparently not. 

I donned my hard-hat and asked on twitter, always a risky strategy if you’re a sensitive soul like me, and sure enough I got a variety of different answers. So I thought I would spend this newsletter going through some of those answers. You don’t have to have a twitter account to have a nosey at things on there, you can just search by topic or phrases or usernames, so I’ve popped everyone’s usernames here in case you want them. Fair warning, this is a pretty long newsletter as I wanted to include as many opinions as possible!

 

 

 

(Psst -that image will make sense soon) 

So first up:
Megan Taylor
@meganjstaylor
‘Writing from your heart, in the way that can only belong to you.’
 
This is what I immediately think of when I think of ‘voice’. The voice that comes from inside me, the voice that no one else could emulate. When I’m sifting stories for competitions, or magazine submissions, or when I’m giving writing advice, the question I have in my mind is, ‘is this something that no one else could have written?’

But, my voice can change depending on the story I’m writing or the market I’m writing for! To give an example of this, a lot of my early flash fiction is what I describe as ‘weird things happening in simple ways’. Here’s a prime example of that method, from 2017
It's Complicated

But … after so many stories written that way, I began to bore myself. So I took one of those stories and played around with it, stripping back as much ‘me’ as I could. I wish I had the earlier version to show you, but here’s what it ended up as:
girl & pangolin

I think each story has a distinct voice, but they are incredibly different, and yet both were written by me.
 

 

 

Which leads me onto one of the strongest opinions I was given on twitter:

Lauren Foley 
@foleywan_kenobi 
‘Wishy washy find your ‘voice’ as an author preachings only serve to force artists into marketable niches, where they can become obsolete as bands whose decades of albums are the same song over and over again’

I’m so glad Lauren said this, as it honestly wasn’t something I had considered before. I think, in this case, it comes down to what you are happy with as an author. If you would be happy to only write one type of story (and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that) then you could hone your voice so that it suits your intended genre. I’m typing this next to my husband’s bookshelf and I can see 24 Lee Child books! If I could be guaranteed a career and creative output like Lee Child, would I be happy to stick to one ‘voice’ in my writing? Honestly, no. But you might. So maybe a distinct voice in one genre will serve you well in a long-term writing career. 

Lauren also said this, 
‘Agents looking for ‘strong voice’ literally means: high quality convincing writing.
Industry-wise it mean: copy edits and light structural editing only please.’

Perhaps we should just write the best that we can and not worry ourselves with things like voice at all.
 

 

 

 
This chimes with the response from experienced publisher Louise Walters:

Louise Walters Books 
@LouiseWalters12
‘I actually don’t really believe in “voice”. It’s a vague term, a bit misleading. Control is what makes a good “voice”. A writer’s absolute control over every aspect of their writing. It’s hard to achieve, and so it’s good to read when it is achieved.’

So, control over every aspect of their writing. For me, I interpret that as knowing who is telling the story, having a consistent viewpoint and tense (two things I’m personally dreadful at in longer pieces), respecting the genre I’m writing in, tightly edited sentences that achieve what I want them to without sounding overwrought or sparse, keeping up pace and tension while also allowing the reader breathing space … you know, simple things like that. To be fair, that really is what we ought to be trying to achieve in our writing, and is the reason it took me maybe 3 months to write my novella-in-flash then another 6 months to edit it!! 
 

 

 

This response was a really popular one:

Jason Jackson 
@jj_fiction
‘Sounds authentically like a character / narrator, not a writer saying ‘look at me writing stuff’

I definitely agree with what Jason is saying, anything that feels like an author ‘showing off’ or doesn’t fit with the character immediately pulls me out of the story. I am sometimes guilty of using literary devices, especially alliteration, to make my stories sound a bit fancier, and then someone will read it and that’s the bit they dislike the most! Trying to really inhabit the world of our characters or narrators, including their voice, is really important for convincing, authentic stories. 

But then again …

Trent England
@papermotel
‘I think of it as being akin to how every person has his or her own gait, that there’s something innately *you* about how you walk. Learning to find your voice is like learning to walk and finding your voice is like learning to walk and finding your stride. Once you’re comfortably going along, it means you’ve gotten it.

I’ve had people say to me, ‘I knew that was a Gaynor story as soon as I started reading it’ and I honestly don’t know how to feel about that! I haven’t deliberately cultivated a particular voice, but I seem to have fallen into certain habits, tropes, settings, vocabulary choices. I often joke about ‘black beady eyes’ being my trademark as the phrase appears in so many of my stories!

There was a tweet a few months back that said, 
‘how to tell if you’re in a xxx story’ and it allowed writers to pick just a few elements of their writing.
Mine was, ‘how to tell if you’re in a Gaynor Jones story:

  • Troubled adolescent girls
  • Something weird is going on 
  • Black beady eyes’

I honestly think that sums up 80% of my stories! Try it with your own writing and see what you can boil your work down to - perhaps that will give you an idea of your own voice. 
 

 

 

If all this has been too complex, then here’s some good, straight advice from our highly experienced writer in residence, Peter Jordan, and perhaps it’s the only advice on voice we really need:

Peter Jordan
@PM_Jordan
‘Voice is YOU’

You can find the original twitter thread by clicking here.

Happy writing, 

Until next time, 

Gaynor 

 

Copyright © 2021 Retreat West, All rights reserved.
.

Our mailing address is:

Retreat West

Apartment 3735 Chynoweth House

Trevissome Park

Truro, Cornwall TR4 8UN

United Kingdom



Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp

Welcome to our April Monthly news roundup - we have a lot going on! 


All of our community, courses and competitions news can be found below. Plus it's the last chance to vote in the annual Saboteur Awards, which are a massive boost for indie publishers and authors. We're eligible in 3 categories this year:

  1. Most Innovative Publisher - we won last year! And were shortlisted in 2019 and it would mean a lot to us and all of the talented authors we publish if we could make the list again this year.
  2. Best Short Story Collection - the stunning second collection from Amanda Huggins, Scratched Enamel Heart. 
  3. Best Anthology - our annual anthology of winners from the Short Story and Flash Fiction Prizes, How to Hold An Umbrella.


 

 

 

 

ONLINE COURSES

 

The Flash Focus six-week series of Zoom workshops with Amanda Saint starts tomorrow and there are a few places left if you'd like to join her along with the other writers already signed up. First workshop is at 10.30 (UK time) tomorrow and then you'll be meeting once a week on Thursday mornings to develop your flash writing skills and draft new stories. Get the info and sign up here.

If you're not already a member of our lively, friendly and motivational online writing community platform, then signing up for any of our courses also gives you access until the course ends. Meaning you can attend all our member only events and catch up with the recordings of previous ones. 

Our year-long Novel Creator course opens for applications tomorrow for the September start date. We're excited to have an additional mentor to work alongside Amanda Saint and CM Taylor this year. Novelist and host of the very popular Literary Sofa blog, Isabel Costello, is joining the course team so that we can make more spaces available. Our congrats to Isabel as well as her new novel, Scent, published last week. Initially, applications for the Novel Creator are open just to our community members but will open to everyone later this month. In the meantime you can see the course outline here.We are in the process of moving all of our online courses to the new community website but for now, all of the work alone options are still available on the old platform.  So we have created a new page on our website that links directly to each course whichever platform it's running on.

Currently the only ones set up on the new community site are the group courses that have start dates soon:

 

This 6-week course with Peter Jordan will focus on developing your short story writing skills and Peter will help you to edit and polish a story for submission.  

ONLY 3 PLACES REMAINING

Start date: 27th April - 7pm to 8.30pm UK time.

Format: 1.5 hour Zoom sessions once a week
 

 

 

This 2-week immersive and generative course with Amanda Saint is for flash fiction writers to generate lots of new work and find new ways to create stories. There are 10 workshops on weekdays and you can post up your stories for feedback from Amanda and the other course participants.

ONLY 8 PLACES REMAINING

Start date: 3rd May 

Format: Online, text-based tutorials with chat forum that can be access anytime.
 

 

 

 

COMPETITIONS

 

Monthly Micro Fiction

The April competition is live and you have until Sunday 11th April to send us your 100-word storied inspired by Jan Kaneen's prompt. See the prompt and enter here.
 

First Chapter 

We've published the longlist for the 2021 First Chapter Competition and the shortlist is coming soon, at which point the 10 chosen chapters will go to Jude, Sam Jordison at Galley Beggar Press, to make the final decision. 
 

Quarterly Themed Flash

We received 93 entries for the CIRCUS theme and are busy reading all the entries now. Longlist will be revealed at the start of May. In the meantime, get writing for the June comp, which is judged by Ross Jeffrey - author and publisher of STORGY lit mag who has chosen the theme of 'The Uncanny'. See the details here.
 

Annual Prizes

The judges and deadlines for the annual Short Story and Flash Fiction Prizes will be revealed tomorrow so keep an eye on our website. We have a new category added for 2021 - Micro Fiction! All 10 shortlisted writers in each category will get cash prizes and published in the paperback and ebook anthology.
 

Novelette-in-Flash

We'll be releasing details of this year's competition next week and are busy getting the anthology of last year's winners ready for a June publication.
 

 

COMMUNITY

 

This month's community webinar event is 'So What's Your Book About?' with Amanda Saint and CM Taylor, where they'll look at how you tie your plot, character and themes together to deliver a compelling novel with unforgettable narrators. Plus audience Q&A. Sign up to our community to join them live at 7pm UK time on 15th April.

If you can't make the live date, all of our community events are recorded and posted up for our members to watch again. So far we've had:

  • How to make it onto shortlists with Peter Jordan
  • Writing your way into fabulous flash fiction with Kathy Fish

Coming up in May and June we have:

  • Flash fiction and the art of instant immersion with KM Elkes
  • Create that collection with Barbara Byar

Plus our members get loads of other great benefits included such as access to Friday Flashing writing sessions, monthly Zoom feedback sessions, exclusive content to help them develop all prose fiction writing, and early notice of all course bookings.
 

 

Copyright © 2021 Retreat West, All rights reserved.


Our mailing address is:

Retreat West

Apartment 3735 Chynoweth House

Trevissome Park

Truro, Cornwall TR4 8UN

United Kingdom



Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp

 

The Saboteur Awards are hugely important to indie presses and authors - they raise our profile, spread the word about our books and authors and give us all something to get excited about! We are eligible for a few categories this year, and would really appreciate your support again. 

 

 

Most Innovative Publisher

 

In 2019 we were shortlisted, and last year, we won this category! And we would love to win again.

We publish a variety of books, from novels to short story collections to our forthcoming memoir-in-flash and novelettes-in-flash.

We frequently publish debut authors and our competition anthologies allow for a wide variety of stories and voices to be heard. 

 

 

 

Best Short Story Collection  

 

 

Scratched Enamel Heart by Amanda Huggins

These stories transport the reader from India to Japan, from mid-west America to the north-east coast of England, from New York to London. They are stories filled with yearning and hope, the search for connection and the longing to escape. 

The resilience and frailty of the human heart lie at the core of this second short story collection from award-winning author, Amanda Huggins

 

 

 

Best Anthology 

 

 

How to Hold an Umbrella


Burgeoning relationships, dystopian futures that now seem very real, violent secrets, old families and new friends all feature in stories that span the breadth of human existence, and beyond. Filled with love, loss, hope and humour How To Hold An Umbrella will entertain, enlighten and enthrall as you navigate the lives of the characters within these pages

 

 

 

We don't have a book eligible for best novella this year, but you may like to support these:  

 

* All Our Squandered Beauty by Retreat West author Amanda Huggins, published by Victorina Press
* Straw Gods by forthcoming Retreat West author Tom O'Brien, published by Reflex Press
* Among These Animals by Retreat West team member Gaynor Jones, published by Ellipsis Zine 

 

Copyright © 2021 Retreat West, All rights reserved.
.

Our mailing address is:

Retreat West

Apartment 3735 Chynoweth House

Trevissome Park

Truro, Cornwall TR4 8UN

United Kingdom



Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp



No comments:

Post a Comment