Thursday 2 April 2020

Retreat West

Here is the latest information from Retreat West:


Our 2020 annual short story and flash fiction prize will open for entries shortly. In the meantime, here's an exclusive sneak peek at our judges, especially for our subscribers. 



Short Story:

Peter Jordan is a short story writer from Belfast. He has won the Bare Fiction prize, came second in the Fish prize, and was shortlisted for both the Bridport and the Bath short story prizes. His work has received various awards, including three Arts Council grants. Over 50 of his stories have appeared in literary magazines, journals and anthologies.

His short story collection, Calls to Distant Places, was released in August 2019. He can be found on Twitter @pm_jordan. His website address is surfmyshorts.com




Flash Fiction:

Susmita Bhattacharya is an award-winning author and creative writing tutor. Her debut novel, The Normal State of Mind (Parthian, 2015, BEE Books, India 2016) was long-listed for the Word to Screen Prize at the Mumbai Film Festival, 2018. 
 
Her short story collection, Table Manners (Dahlia Publishing, 2018) won the Saboteur Award for Best Short Story Collection (2019) and was a finalist  for the Hall & Woodhouse DLF Prize, 2019. Her short stories have been nominated for the Pushcart Prize and been featured on BBC Radio 4.She teaches creative writing at Winchester University and facilitates the Mayflower Young Writers programme in Southampton. She has judged several competitions including the National Flash Fiction Day (NFFD Flash Flood) and the Winchester Writers' Festival. You can find her books here.



If you’re thinking of entering our short story competition this year, here’s what our new judge, Peter Jordan, has to say. 

What am I looking for in a short story? Well, I don’t want a writer to google me and say ‘Oh, he likes short sentences and concrete words, and imagery, and stuff… I’ll try to write like that.’ I have tried doing this in the past — googling the judge, and trying to tailor it —  when entering competitions. It doesn’t work.

I would say to anyone entering this competition to read the following quote from Raymond Carver’s most insightful interview (taken from A Storyteller’s Shoptalk).

“It's akin to style, what I'm talking about, but it isn't style alone. It is the writer's particular and unmistakable signature on everything he writes. It is his world and no other. This is one of the things that distinguishes one writer from another. Not talent. There's plenty of that around. But a writer who has some special way of looking at things and who gives artistic expression to that way of looking: that writer may be around for a time.”

If I see something that has a writer’s unique fingerprint, and I like it, then that story has the best chance of winning.


If you’re thinking of entering our flash fiction competition this year, here’s what our new judge, Susmita Bhattacharya, has to say. 

I would like the story to take me by surprise. But not a twist-in-the-tale kind of surprise – an image, or a moment that is unexpected. Something that will make me want to return to the story again and again, deconstructing its meaning, finding a new meaning every time I do.

I want the stories to be reflective, experimental and brave. Think out of the box. Think relatable. And everything in between.

Think titles – and how to make them work for flash fiction. And remember that every word counts. Play with form. Play with context. Meaning. Layout. And above all, have fun creating these flash pieces. It will show.

 

Facebook
Twitter
Website


Copyright © 2020 Retreat West, All rights reserved.


Our mailing address is:
Retreat West
Apartment 3735 Chynoweth House
Trevissome Park
Truro, Cornwall TR4 8UN
United Kingdom





"An early contender for one of my Top Reads of 2020" - Emma Rowson, book blogger 


What readers are saying about One Scheme of Happiness

- I couldn't put it down 
- beautifully written 
- unpredictable and deeply satisfying


Copyright © 2020 Retreat West, All rights reserved.


Our mailing address is:
Retreat West
Apartment 3735 Chynoweth House
Trevissome Park
Truro, Cornwall TR4 8UN
United Kingdom




When I started reading our upcoming release, One Scheme of Happiness, I felt sure I knew who I would be rooting for. Poor Helen; her Mum has just died, she doesn’t have much of a life beyond her job, and now the woman who stole the love of her life has arrived back in her hometown; married, glamorous, with two perfect children in tow. I was never going to be on vivacious Vicky’s side…was I? And as for Sam, the man in the midst of the love triangle…I’ll let you make your own made up once you’ve read the book!

The book works so well because the characters are much more than one dimensional cardboard cut-outs. And this is the skill that the best writers have – to constantly upturn reader expectations. To make us question ourselves as much as we question the characters.

My favourite unlikeable character in fiction is April Wheeler from Richard Yates’ classic, Revolutionary Road. Arguably, she does some terrible things, for which she pays the ultimate price. But, throughout the book her dreams are constantly chipped away, all because she doesn’t fit into the stereotypical housewife mould that her husband Frank expects of her. Who can blame her for reacting the way she does?

But how do we go about writing such characters? As a reader, I am drawn to unlikeable characters because they seem so much more interesting than the good guys, but as a writer I’ll admit I’ve found it difficult to get the balance right.

Unlikable characters need to have depth, they need to be believable. Perhaps they need some motivation for acting the way they do. I don’t think that a typical reader could get on board with someone who is evil for no reason. Amy Dunne from Gone Girl is a recent character that comes to mind (spoiler alert!). Is the way her parents treat her enough of an excuse for the way she treats Nick? Surely it’s not enough to excuse murder?

I had feedback on a short story once that the protagonist was completely unlikeable. The piece had been longlisted in a competition and I was only after some tweaks before I resubmitted it. But a friend said to me, ‘he’s so unpleasant, why do you want to tell his story?’ And I realised she was right. Why was I trying to elevate this vile person’s voice above others who could have told the story instead? I ditched that story and I haven't tried to write an unlikeable character since - perhaps I'll make that my next challenge!

If you want to join me, you might find some inspiration from the articles posted below.

Let us know who your favourite unlikeable characters are by tweeting us at @RetreatWest or emailing me at gaynor@retreatwest.co.uk, and, once you've read One Scheme of Happiness, let us know whose side you are on!

Gaynor
 



Copyright © 2020 Retreat West, All rights reserved.


Our mailing address is:
Retreat West
Apartment 3735 Chynoweth House
Trevissome Park
Truro, Cornwall TR4 8UN
United Kingdom






No comments:

Post a Comment