Thursday 2 August 2018

Cleckheaton Writers Group meeting 30 July 2018

The Cleckheaton Writers Group (CWG) met on Monday night at Cleckheaton Library with Kathy, Pauline, Gemma, Cassie and myself in attendance, Sarah, Neil and Mandy having passed on their apologies (Arline also passed her apologies on 31 July).

We started by introducing Gemma to Cassie as they had not met before and they discussed their writing histories.

The minutes for the last CWG meeting were passed.

WIP updates: Cassie has written 2 and a half stories, two about train journeys and risen to the CWG writing challenge. We look forward to reading/hearing this at a future meeting. Gemma has been working on her WIP to submit to York Literature Festival in August and has beta read Sarah's novel which she enjoyed. Pauline has been working on her Bickerman WIP and set herself a challenge of writing 10 minutes a day since 26 June. Kathy has been working on her Tobias WIP, and has written two more chapters. She has bought a copy of Scrivener, which following the tutorial, she found to be a revelation. The members all suggested that she give the CWG a workshop on Scrivener at a future date and Kathy agreed. I have been working on my WIP and have written several more chapters as part of CampNaNoWriMo. I hope to complete my CampNaNoWriMo challenge of 20k words (I managed a total of 21,381 words to get a 'win' on 31 July) and get my novel to first draft for the first week of August. I am then going to rest it for a week and give it a light edit before submitting it to the RNA New Writers Scheme (deadline 31 August).

I informed the group about my first RNA conference at Trinity University in Leeds, where I attended many workshops and had 1-2-1s with an editor, two agents and a publisher. I got some excellent feedback and my crime novel was requested by the two agents plus the publisher recommended I submit my current WIP to them once it is complete.

Pauline brought along a copy of the latest Writers Magazine (September) which she has subscribed to (and received a free copy of the 2019 W&A Yearbook for her subscription) and the issue has a 'How to perfect your submission' feature.

I shared a few chapters of my current WIP for feedback. As the meeting ran out of time, I will share the rest at a future meeting and hope that those that attended this time could pass me on their feedback via email if they have some for the sections I shared. Thank you. (Thanks Cassie for passing yours along the same evening).

The next meeting will take place on Monday 13 August 2018 at 5.30-7pm at Cleckheaton Library. Please feel free to bring along some work for the feedback slot.

No comments:

Post a Comment