Tuesday 20 February 2018

Cleckheaton Writers Group minutes, meeting 19 February 2018

Cleckheaton Writers Group met last night with myself, Pauline and Andy in attendance, Sarah, Neil, Mandy and Alice having passed on their apologies.

The minutes from the previous meeting were passed and I mentioned the email that I had sent from Friends of Cleckheaton Library about the Library consultation meeting to all CWG members. 

It was also decided that the creative writing workshop meetings that Pauline, Alice and myself had been attending for 6 weeks would start up again on Friday 9 March at the usual time and place.  Any CWG members that wish to also attend are welcome.

Work In Progress (WIP) updates: I have written another chapter on my WIP, written a couple of short stories and poems, plot-planned another story and I have also entered three writing competitions since the last meeting.  Pauline has plot-planned a story using the 8-page structure form that we used at our Friday creative writing workshop and has begun a new short story.  Andy has written some poetry which he had brought along to share and he will be working with someone to put this writing to music.

Feedback sessions: I brought along a short story that I started at the Leeds Trinity University Writers Festival on Wednesday and completed on Sunday, entitled Across Faith.  It has a crime theme and was well received by the members.  I hope to enter it into a competition.  Andy shared three poems.  None of them had titles yet but one was a performance poem that we thought was powerful.  We agreed that the performance poem could be lengthened or shortened to specification and hope to hear it performed soon.  This led onto a discussion about the reflection of society that the TV programme Black Mirror is and this in turn prompted Pauline to recommend Earth Final Conflict, that can be found on the Horror Channel at 3pm.

I informed the members about the upcoming Headingley, Huddersfield and York Literature Festivals, as I had brought the brochures along for those who wished to take a look.

The next meeting will take place on Monday 5 March 2018 5.30pm-7pm at Cleckheaton Library where both feedback slots are available.  Meetings fortnightly thereafter and new members always welcome

No comments:

Post a Comment