2015 Manchester Children’s Book Festival
Have you picked up your Festival brochure yet? If not, you can download your digital copy from our website and see what’s on now by clicking: 2015 MCBF Digital Brochure – or browse the full programme online at www.mcbf.org.uk/whats-on/events.
FREE Festival Family Fun Day: 27/06/15
One of the main features of previous MCBFs has been our popular Festival Family Fun Day – and it’s back for 2015, bigger than ever! Join us on Saturday 27th June for a full day of free activities in the Geoffrey Manton Building at Manchester Metropolitan University’s All Saints Campus (opposite the Commonwealth Aquatics Centre on Oxford Road, Manchester). There’ll be something for everyone, from pre-readers and nursery age-children to teens and families. And, as well as story-telling, arts, crafts and workshops, there’ll be a bustling market-place of stalls and exhibitions to browse and enjoy. There’ll be lots to see and do – here are some of the highlights:
- Come dressed as your favourite character from the past or the future or make your outfit on the day and join in our Fancy Dress Parade - don't forget your percussion instruments, the band will need music to march to!
- Visit the Readwell stall and support our efforts to raise money for Manchester Children's Hospital School - as well as our knitted Compton Valance mascot you might find some old cheeky monkey friends…
- Come and say hello to Little Alf the miniature pony.
- Little People's History Museum: discover the story of Manchester's Coat of Arms in Mr Ordinary's Prize. Someone has stolen Mr Ordinary’s Thinking and Doing! What will he do without them? Join in the adventure as Mr Ordinary and his friends try to get them back. Fun interactive story session with puppets, song, dance and a craft activity.
- Make a Monkey! badge with the team from Z-arts.
- Take a trip back in time, explore life as a Football Fan in the past. Try on some Football Fan attire or handle fan’s treasured possessions with staff from the National Football Museum.
- Find out about Ordsall Hall and how you can have your own time-travelling adventure on a visit there. Meet our Tudors and make your own pennon to wave in the parade!
- Create your very own elephant ears and see some objects from Manchester Museum’s collections. Find out about artist Oliver East’s project Take Me Back to Manchester, which recreated Maharajah the elephant’s 10 day and 220 mile walk to Manchester from Edinburgh.
- Have your picture drawn, or be transformed into an animal, in the magical portrait booth.
- Time Travelling Troupe: take a trip through time and space to create your own alien character with the Royal Exchange Theatre. An interactive drama workshop celebrating space characters from the past and future by transporting them to the present day.
- Learn how to turn old household rubbish it into exciting stuff with Junkcraft.
- Blitz Brits crafts with Imperial War Museum.
- Aliens Love Underpants – colouring and decorating activity with The Lowry, creating colourful items for a washing line hung above the stand.
- Join Manchester Libraries and Archives+ as we look forward to the launch of this year's summer reading challenge for children.
- Celebrate kids’ books and reading with our friends from the Society of Children’s Books Writers and Illustrators. Meet the authors and illustrators of some of your favourite children’s books. Draw! Write! Make! Create!
- Would YOU eat a mouldy sandwich? Investigate with our nutrition scientist and microbiologist and make your decision ... microscopy, mould, models and more! Plus ManMetMunch kids' cookery.
- Join Manchester School of Art for an exhibition of work from their Saturday club and create your own time travel rosette.
- Space and art: send your drawings into space with our MMU astronauts!
- MMU undergraduate children's writers have produced picture book texts which need illustrations - come to the stall and add your drawings to the books!
- Settle down as the MCBF Travelling Story-telling Tent comes home for story time with our friends from Ahmed Iqbal Ullah Trust, Commonword – and more!
There will also be ticketed events throughout the day, featuring guest authors and illustrators Kate Pankhurst, Steve Hartley, Ruth Fitzgerald – and the creators of our Compton Valance mascot Matt Brown and Lizzie Finlay!
Saturday 27th June, 10.00am to 4.00pm, MMU Geoffrey Manton Building. FREE entry. You can book your free tickets via our website, http://www.mcbf.org.uk/whats-on/events/2015-festival-family-fun-day, by calling the box office on 0843 208 0500, or you can tell us that you’ll be coming on our Facebook event page: 2015 MCBF Family Fun Day. Or just pop in on the day!
We look forward to seeing you there!
The Manchester Children's Book Festival Team
The Manchester Children’s Book Festival
Manchester Metropolitan University
Rosamond Street West | Off Oxford Road | Manchester | M15 6LL
Tel: +44 (0) 161 247 2424
Browse our website: www.mcbf.org.uk
Join us on Facebook: “Manchester Children’s Book Festival”
Follow us on Twitter: @MCBFestival
Working with Readwell to put books onto shelves at Manchester Children’s Hospital School.