Saturday 17 May 2014

Prince and the third eye girl concert review



Had a fantastic day yesterday.  First I met up with my friend N from my old MA University days for a lovely catch-up, then lunch with my friends B, A and Aj, then my husband and I went to see Prince in Manchester.

It is the third time I have seen him (the last time was his 3121 tour and we saw him at Wembley) and the fifth for my husband, but I swear this was my favourite. 

The concert started late (it was ticketed to start at 8pm, but they did not take the stage until 8.45pm at the earliest) but it was well worth the wait.  The whole event was like one massive party jam and the funk was hot. 

He started with a mix-up of old favourites including opener Let's Go Crazy, moving through Raspberry Berry, Diamonds and Pearls and Controversy.  Slow numbers at the piano were interspersed, before racking it right up again for Kiss.  His new numbers included the fantastic Funk and Roll and Something in the Water (Does not Compute).  Also featured were She's always in my Hair, 1999, Little Red Corvette, Musicology and an extended Purple Rain.

The audience were asked not to photograph or record, so mobiles and cameras were banned (hence the official tour photo's used here) but encouraged to dance, clap, sing and funk out.  It was an amazing party atmosphere and Prince appeared to enjoy it every bit as much as we did, repeatedly asking for the lights to be switched up so he could see us all dancing (even in the balcony seats) and encouraging and loving us singing his hits back to him.  For an older star, reportedly 55, you wouldn't know it.  He danced, sang and jammed that guitar like a far younger man and I swear he looks younger. 

A true genius in charge of the power of music.


Nobody parties like a Prince jam party.                                                                       10/10

#Prince   #Thirdeyegirl

No comments:

Post a Comment