Wednesday 25 January 2017

Keeping to your resolutions and the One Room newsletter

How are all my followers keeping to their writing resolutions (if indeed you made any)?

Having posted my plan/resolutions earlier this month, I thought I would update you all on how I am doing with keeping to mine.

On the 1st of January I started off well with a poem entitled New Year (49 words) and then had a great couple of Creative Writing sessions at Cleckheaton Library with Saturday 7 January spent organising my plot plan and chapter headings in order to work towards finishing my current WIP, 2,414 words written on Saturday 14 January and 2,517 written on Saturday 21 January.  I then followed this on Sunday 22 January with a short psychological horror story, currently entitled Remember which at 1,094 words brings my total for January so far to 6,074.  This far exceeds the 1,750 for the month I challenged myself.  Now I just have to send at least one competition entry and one agent/publisher submission and I will have hit my January target.

I would love to hear how my followers are doing, so please drop me a comment with your successes, or otherwise, because it is great to hear from others, which I believe helps to encourage us all.

With this in mind, I thought I would share the latest One Room newsletter with handy hints for inspiration and recommendations for writing books:


 
 

Good Reads

 
What We Talk About When We Talk About a Practice: "Six keys to a lifelong practice from Haruki Murakami..." | OneRoom
Read »
 
Inside the Practice — Writing: "It's kind of embarrassing to admit, but I used to think a regular writing practice was writing one thing every 2 weeks or something. It's really intimidating. Particularly when you don't believe that the things going on inside of you don't have any merit or could be valuable to somebody else..." | OneRoom Blog
Read »
 
 

Words of Wisdom

 
"Writers use literature as a mirror held up to the world."
– Edmund White
Share >>
 
"When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece."
– John Ruskin
Share >>
 
“Study the tricks of the writers who have arrived. They have mastered the tools with which you are cutting your fingers. They are doing things, and their work bears the internal evidence of how it is done. Don't wait for some good Samaritan to tell you, but dig it out for yourself."
– Jack London
Share >>
 
 

OneRoom News

 
---
 
New Novel Writing Coach
 
Rowan Hisayo Buchanan
Rowan is the author of the novel Harmless Like You. She has a BA from Columbia University, and MFA from the UW-Madison. Her short work has appeared in Granta, the Guardian, Guernica, and NPR'S Selected Shorts, among other places. She has received residencies from the Gladstone Library and Hedgebrook. 
 

If you're interested in working with Rowan, we suggest applying soon. There are only 13 spots left, and our groups have been filling up fast.
 
 
 
 
Returning Poetry Coach
 
Caroline Goodwin
Caroline has published four poetry chapbooks and one full-length collection, Trapline (2013). Her next collection, The Paper Tree, is forthcoming in April 2017 from Big Yes Press. She attended Stanford in 1999 as a Wallace Stegner Fellow in poetry, served as the first Poet Laureate of San Mateo County, CA from 2014 - 2016, and currently teaches at Stanford Continuing Studies and California College of the Arts in Oakland.
 

There are only 15 spots left in Caroline's group, so apply soon!
 
Connect with us:
 
 
Copyright © 2017 OneRoom, All rights reserved.
         

Our mailing address is:
OneRoom
344 20th St, Suite 411
Oakland, CA 94612

        




No comments:

Post a Comment