Friday 11 May 2012

Publish and be damned final workshop

Attended the last workshop at 7Arts this morning and it was about epublishing, self-publishing and dialogue.  We discussed various new systems such as Kobo vox and new ways to publish/print e.g. touchpress and espresso books.  In the dialogue section, we discussed reasons for dialogue including showing not telling, characterisation through voice, pace control and showing what a character thinks or what they want you to think.  We did 5 writing tasks including a one-sided conversation and a three way conversation involving a narcissist, a liar and a control freak.  I really enjoyed these exercises and I thought I would share what I came up with for the last exercise:


"You should never use a soup spoon for dessert."

"I don't have any other spoons."

"I bought you some as a wedding gift remember?"

"Talking of weddings, I'm thinking of asking Nicole to marry me."

"Oh, I put that somewhere to keep them pristine."

"You mean you were thinking of regifting.  Let's get back to how I should propose."

"Not until we've sorted this spoon situation out."


Can you guess which one is which?

No comments:

Post a Comment