Sunday 28 March 2021

Retreat West newsletters

With details of upcoming competitions and more:


The clock is ticking down to midnight!

 
You have until 23.59 (UK time) tonight to send us your circus stories. The 10 shortlisted stories will go to our judge, Sherry Morris, who'll pick the top 3 to win the prizes.

There's £400 in cash prizes available and winners get their stories published on our website and professionally recorded by a voice artist for our YouTube channel! 

We can't wait to read your circus interpretations!

 

 

Copyright © 2021 Retreat West, All rights reserved.


Our mailing address is:

Retreat West

Apartment 3735 Chynoweth House

Trevissome Park

Truro, Cornwall TR4 8UN

United Kingdom



Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp


What kind of circus will your story star?


We can't wait to read what this prompt has inspired for you.

In case you're still searching for inspiration at the last minute we thought we'd share some circus facts with you that could spark your story...

  • The person who stood outside the circus ground shouting "Roll up! Roll Up!" to attract people in was called a Carnival Barker. One of the most famous fictional Barkers is Billy Bigelow in the Rogers and Hammerstein musical, Carousel.
  • There's a lot of debate about when, where, what was the first circus in the world ever but the modern version that we're accustomed to was born in England during the 1770s when a former soldier, Philip Astley, had acrobatics, riding, and clowning performances in the ring at his riding school near Westminster Bridge, London. He then established the Amphithéâtre Anglais in Paris in 1782, which was the first purpose-built circus in France, followed by 18 other permanent circuses in cities throughout Europe.
  • The term "media circus" first came into use in the 1970s to describe a frenzy of reporters at a scene, focused on providing sensationalistic coverage of an event. Things have only got increasingly frenzied since then! 
  • Circus comes from the Latin Root for circle, which is why London has Piccadilly Circus and Oxford Circus. When these places were originally named there were roads converging at the junctions and forming a circle. But now that there are many more roads meeting there, the circle shapes have all but disappeared.

 
We hope our circus facts inspire you to create a story! You have until 23.59 (UK time) on Sunday 28th March to send them to us. There's £400 in cash prizes available and winners get their stories published on our website and professionally recorded by a voice artist for our YouTube channel! 
 

 

 

 

Flash Focus

Last chance to book for Amanda Saint's 6-week flash fiction course via Zoom. Starting on Thursday 8th April, you'll meet once a week at 10.30 (UK time) for an hour and a half class. This will include a craft discussion, inspirational reading, writing time and then a reading out and feedback session.

The focus is on finding new ways to write flash stories with depth, emotional resonance and making your prose work really hard.

It's £95 for our members and £115 for non-members. The prices are shown in the equivalent USD when you click through to the platform to book as the website can't process in GBP at the moment. 

There are just a few spaces left now! 

If you're not already a member of our lovely online community, then for the duration of the course you'll get to hang out there too. Which means you'll be able to come to all the live events we hold during that time and watch the recordings of our previous events with Peter Jordan and Kathy Fish. As well as lots of other great stuff! 
 

 

 

Want to write longer stories?

There are a few places left to join award-winning author, Peter Jordan, on our new short story course.

Crafting Stories for Publication is six 1.5-hour long live classes via Zoom in which Peter will help you take your short story writing to the next level. He'll also do a detailed editorial report and line edit on a story you produce to help you polish it up for submission. Spaces are limited to just 10 writers.

Start date: Tuesday 27th April 2021
Class time: 7pm to 8.30pm
Cost: £250 (will show in equivalent USD on our platform)


This course will also give you access to our online community for the duration of the course. Which will cover the webinar with Ken Elkes and lots of Friday writing sessions on Zoom so you can write, write, write all the time!
 

 

 

Copyright © 2021 Retreat West, All rights reserved.


Our mailing address is:

Retreat West

Apartment 3735 Chynoweth House

Trevissome Park

Truro, Cornwall TR4 8UN

United Kingdom



Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp


 

What reviewers are saying about
One Scheme of Happiness:


'A deeply complex and compelling story'
 
'If you enjoy reading about relationships, marriage and loyalty, and appreciate beautiful writing, you WILL enjoy reading this book.'
 
'A truly enjoyable read; a page-turner that also lingers in the mind afterwards. Engaging and complex characters, and some interesting plot twists'
 
'If you read only one book this year make it this one...you won't be disappointed.'


 

 

 

Copyright © 2021 Retreat West, All rights reserved.


Our mailing address is:

Retreat West

Apartment 3735 Chynoweth House

Trevissome Park

Truro, Cornwall TR4 8UN

United Kingdom



Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp


Get your votes in by midnight!

It's the final day to pick your winner of the People's Prize from the 10 shortlisted stories. Voting is open until 23.59 (UK time) and the winners will be announced tomorrow.
 

 

 

 

Flash Focus

Amanda Saint is running a 6-week flash fiction course via Zoom for up to 10 writers and there are still a few places available. Starting on Thursday 8th April, you'll meet once a week at 10.30 (UK time) for an hour and a half class. This will include a craft discussion, inspirational reading, writing time and then a reading out and feedback session.

The focus is on finding new ways to write flash stories with depth, emotional resonance and making your prose work really hard.

It's £95 for our members and £115 for non-members. The prices are shown in the equivalent USD when you click through to the platform to book as the website can't process in GBP at the moment. 
 

 

 

 

 

Plus don't forget we meet weekly on Friday mornings for a flash writing session - join us for flash reading and writing fun! Pay what you can afford to come along or these sessions are included with our community membership.

There is no Friday Flashing next week (2nd April) as it's a bank holiday in the UK and Amanda is having a day off! 

 

 

 

Copyright © 2021 Retreat West, All rights reserved.


Our mailing address is:

Retreat West

Apartment 3735 Chynoweth House

Trevissome Park

Truro, Cornwall TR4 8UN

United Kingdom



Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp


Hi again it's Gaynor here, with the third of my monthly newsletters, and this time I'm looking at story endings 

 

Always remember, writing advice should be taken with a pinch of salt, what works for one person will be impossible for another, but I hope you find something here to inspire you! If there are particular topics you would like me to write about in the future, then give me a shout on gaynor@retreatwest.co.uk 

 

Start with the end in mind...

 
How often have you heard that advice when writing? I think I hear it most from novelists, who, to be fair, have a lot more words ahead of them, and all the intricacies that come with writing a long book. People argue about 'pantsing versus plotting' and I am firmly in the former. In non-writing life, I am meticulous, I keep three different paper diaries - for me, for my child, for work, and every minute of my day is portioned up and scheduled. But when it comes to my stories, I just think, ah well I'll throw the words on the page and sort it all out later. I rarely sort it out later! This is why I have 5 unfinished novels to my name, so far. You can see which you are in this quiz, I can honestly say that I never, never start with the end in mind while writing, but I'm beginning to think that I should, especially as I'm about to attempt novel number 6.

 

 

Someone, though I can't remember who, once told me that short fiction should leave the reader with more questions than answers. I like this, and it's something I keep in mind when I'm writing. My favourite short story Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been? by Joyce Carol Oates has stuck with me since I first read it, and I think a lot of that is to do with the ending. 

*SPOILERS AHEAD*
The story centres on Connie, a teen girl who is home alone when a mysterious man pulls his car up to her house and tells her she will be going with him. But this isn't a straightforward home invasion or kidnapping story, because, in the end Connie chooses to leave the house and go to the car herself. The final line of this story still gives me chills

so much land that Connie had never seen before and did not recognize except to know that she was going to it.

Why did Connie choose to leave the house and go with Arnold Friend? How did Arnold know so much about her and her family? What's the significance of the strange symbols on Arnold's car? What does the author want me to think of Connie? Am I meant to understand her, to pity her, to judge her? What will happen to Connie next? Will she be killed, or will she join Arnold in a Bonnie & Clyde situation? Is Arnold the devil? I don't know, and I love that I don't know, and I have a different idea every time I read the story. 

So, in my short stories, I resist the urge to provide answers for the reader, I don't tie everything up neatly in a bow for them, I leave space for them to make their own interpretations as to what just happened. But it's important not to upset or frustrate the reader too much, which leads me onto trees. 

 

 

Yes that's right, I said trees. This is a little trick I use to make myself (hopefully) write better stories. Trees are to me as twist endings are to other writers, by which I mean, if you want a big tree to suddenly show up at the end of your story, you better have planted the seeds first. 

Planting seeds - or clues, or snippets, or hints, or phrases - throughout your story is vital is if you want anything resembling a twist ending. People are torn on twist endings as we traditionally think of them -  I woke up and it was all a dream is pretty much frowned upon these days - but you can still certainly have unexpected things happen. To explain it in highly technical vocabulary, you're aiming for the reader to reach the ending and go 'huh?' then go back over the story and go 'ah!'. 

Let's look at another favourite short story of mine, The Fruit of My Woman by Han Kang, translated by Deborah Smith.

*SPOILERS AHEAD* 
The first line of this story is
It was late May when I first saw the bruises on my wife’s body.
The last line of this story is
When spring came, would my wife sprout again? Would her flowers bloom red? I just didn’t know.

So even with the surprise of the ending, we were told from the very first line that something wasn't quite right with the wife's body. You can go back through the text and find so many 'seeds' leading up to the ultimate transformation. 

Her cheeks, the colour of unripe apples ... The waist that had been as soft and pliant as a sweet potato seedling... like large taro leaves...they were the dull colour of a weeping willow’s branches

By constantly weaving in plant imagery into description of the wife, we are already unconsciously prepared for what's to come. 

This story is an extreme, and fairly literal, example of my tree hypothesis, but it serves as a good reminder when checking my work- If I want XYZ to happen at the end, have I planted xyz throughout the text up to that point? 

 

 

So, let's move away from specific stories and consider some more general advice about endings. 

I once asked my friend Adam Lock to look over a story for me as I was struggling with the ending and he said he would, but he also said 'In my experience, if there's something wrong with the ending, then there's something wrong with the story.' Which I thought was terribly harsh, and unfortunately for me, also terribly true! So if you're struggling with an ending, it's always worth going back through the whole story before sending ages on fiddling and tweaking those last few lines.

In total contradiction to what I just said up there (sorry!) it can also be helpful to start your editing at the end of your piece, and work backwards. In fact, I sometimes print my stories out and cut the paragraphs up when editing, so that instead of really overworking the beginning then thinking 'ah, I'm sure that bit is grand' because it's taken me so long to get there that I'm tired and a bit bored and just want it over and done with...I give the end the tight editing focus it deserves.

Read over your story and double check - is that really your ending? Are you sure about that? When I critique short fiction for people, I would say 95% of the time my advice is to chop the last line, sometimes the last paragraph. So often the writer has just put too much of themselves and their authorial voice in those last crucial sentences, when the story really ended just a few lines before. 

Really be sure that your ending matches your genre, and also think about how you want the reader to feel. What emotional impact do you want your story to have, and what do you want them to take away from reading it? 
Consider the closing lines of these two stories: 

I Love Our Voices When We Sing Off-Key by Timothy Boudreau 

We All Know About Margo by Megan Pillow Davis (content warning for sexual assault) 

The first is a warm story, and the love seeps off the page right to the final line, with the use of pet names which could have been sickly but I think works so well here. It carries the glow of the relationship over once I've finished reading it, I feel invited into this glimpse of intimacy. The latter story is harsh, cruel, almost dismissive, and this is reflected in the staccato, repetitive, painful echo of the last lines and that awful last word that says so much in three letters.

Something else to consider - how does your ending relate to the beginning or even the title of your story? The call back to going in the Oates story above really helps it land for me. I get the feeling some people think it's kind of cheesy when the ending of a story relates to a title, but honestly I think that's a bit sniffy - I love it. I have a dystopian story in my own collection called And So We Will Remember Our Daughters. There is no daughter explicitly mentioned in the story, until I use the word in the final line - in fact it is the final word. It's quite a tricky tale to read in some ways, with split timelines and narratives, so I wanted to ensure the central theme came across clearly in the end. Maybe you'll get to read it some day and I see if I pulled it off! 

 

 

Start with the end in mind ... literally. Here's a little ending-focused task to finish up with. Have a look at the photos I've found here on Unsplash.  I often browse Unsplash or google images to look for story inspiration, but I use them as a starting point, never as an ending. Choose one image to be the ending of your next story - perhaps a micro or a piece of flash fiction. Now write three different versions of events that led up to that point. Play around with genre, character, dialogue - experiment away but try and keep the same end for each story. I would love to know if you write something you love, or if this just isn't your cup of tea and you're more of a winger, like me!
 
Let me know if you have any tips for writing great or interesting endings, or any stories you think I should check out on gaynor@retreatwest.co.uk

Happy writing, 

Gaynor

 

Copyright © 2021 Retreat West, All rights reserved.


Our mailing address is:

Retreat West

Apartment 3735 Chynoweth House

Trevissome Park

Truro, Cornwall TR4 8UN

United Kingdom



Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp


Time to cast your votes!

We've whittled our longlist of 47 stories down to the final 10 and the stories are now online for you to vote for your favourite to win the People's Prize. Voting is open until 23.59 (UK time) on Monday 22nd March and the winners will be announced the next day. Read the shortlisted stories and cast your vote here. Well done to everyone who made both lists and good luck to the shortlisted writers!
 

New Retreat West Awards

We're really excited to have launched the Retreat West Awards and everyone who gets published on our website and in our anthologies is now eligible to win in one of the six categories. This year's winners will be announced at our first ever Online Flash Fest in September. See all the info here.


Catch up with Kathy Fish masterclass

Last week we had a brilliant session with Kathy Fish and our community members, with lots of new stories now in development from her brilliant tips and prompts. You can still watch the recording of the session as it's now uploaded to our community website so that our members can access it anytime.
 

 

 

 

 

New dates for the sold out Advanced Fantastic Flashing


Want to take part in a longer course to help you create lots of new flash drafts and hang out with other writers online? We've added new dates for the sold out Advanced Fantastic Flashing, which ran for the first time in February and starts again today. 

ADVANCED FANTASTIC FLASHING, 17-30 MAY 2021, WITH AMANDA SAINT

During the 2 weeks you will get 10 tutorials, one on each week day, that include:

  • Craft discussion
  • Inspiration and readings
  • Writing prompt

 

We'll look at different ways you can approach flash fiction writing to create innovative and memorable stories that stand out to readers. You'll be able to post the work you create from the prompts in the course forum for feedback from your course mates and tutor.

 

Course testimonials

"The lessons were just the right length, the tone of the material was perfect, and the examples were helpful and inspiring."

 

"The course was great. Really inspiring and helpful."

 

"I really enjoyed these two weeks. The combination of inspirational stories and great prompts had me writing every day."

 

"I've been inspired both by the course and others' writing."
 

 

 

 

Plus don't forget we meet every Friday for a writing session - join us for flash reading and writing fun! Pay what you can afford or these sessions are included with our community membership.

 

 

Copyright © 2021 Retreat West, All rights reserved.


Our mailing address is:

Retreat West

Apartment 3735 Chynoweth House

Trevissome Park

Truro, Cornwall TR4 8UN

United Kingdom



Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp


 

"Compelling and delightfully unusual" 
- Time Out 

 

"Sharply observed, poignant and wilfully whimsical" - Skylight Rain review

 



Beautifully written, irreverent and surprising, Light is a touching exploration of the tangled lives of a group of young artists and friends in the 1990s.

Set against the backdrop of the decade's e-commerce boom, tragic and riotous by turns, packed with complex relationships, humour, and heartbreak, Light is a book for anyone who ever struggled to find their place in the world. 

 

 

WIN a one-of-a-kind painting by Pete Fowler, based on the book.

 

 

 

 

Copyright © 2021 Retreat West, All rights reserved.


Our mailing address is:

Retreat West

Apartment 3735 Chynoweth House

Trevissome Park

Truro, Cornwall TR4 8UN

United Kingdom



Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp


 

Let's start at the very beginning...

Hi again it's Gaynor here, with the second of my monthly newsletters, this time looking at the bane of my writing life - titles

 

Always remember, writing advice should be taken with a pinch of salt, what works for one person will be impossible for another, but I hope you find something here to inspire you! If there are particular topics you would like me to write about in the future, then give me a shout on gaynor@retreatwest.co.uk 

 

Tantalising Titles 

 
Look up there, I couldn’t even think of a good title for this newsletter. I must have written well over 200 stories by now, but I am unfailingly bad at coming up with titles for them. I wrote a story about a bat and a cactus called The Bat and the Cactus. I wrote a story about a man who works in a library called The Library Man. I wrote a story about the cleft in someone’s chin, called Cleft - to be fair it won a big prize but come on, it’s a dreadful title! 
 
If I’m writing one-off stories, spread out over time, then my titles aren’t so much of an issue. But while I’ve been putting my short story collection together I’ve realized just how dreadful they all sound lumped together - Seeds, Hell, Inventory, Waiting, Her - you’re not exactly champing at the bit to read them, are you? But sometimes, I do manage to create a bit more intrigue … And the Rabbits Keep Dancing, The Lake at the End of the Girl, Some Things She Taught Me About Heat. The rabbit one was suggested by a friend, the Lake one I took from the Magical Realism Bot on twitter, and I can't recall where the other one came from! 
 

 

 

What is a title even for? Well I suppose in the very simplest terms it's to let the reader know something about the story before they dive in, and hopefully something for them to reflect on afterwards. Often when I'm thinking about 'writing tips' I try and flip my brain around to consider 'reader tips' instead. That is, I don't write for other writers, I write for my readers. And readers don't really want to have the rug pulled from under them. If I picked up a book called 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?' and found it was a period romance I would be ... surprised, to say the least. The same applies with our fiction titles. It's a good aim to try and stand out from the crowd by choosing something unique but I would argue strongly that your title should reflect not just what happens in the story, but also the genre. 
 

 

 

My absolute favourite 'title writer' if you will, is Kirsty Logan. Her feminist horror short story collection, Things We Say in The Dark, contains the following stories:
- Things My Wife and I Found Hidden in Our House 
- Birds Fell From the Sky and Each One Spoke in Your Voice
- The World's More Full of Weeping Than You Can Understand 

and the horrifically creepy final story
- Watch the Wall My Darling, While the Gentleman Go By
The effect of each title as you read through the book continually builds and adds to the horror, and indeed to the experience of reading the book

Another title I'm very fond of is this rather cheeky one from Ingrid Jendrzejewski
‘A One-Word Yet Possibly Longer-Than-Necessary Personal Essay Dedicated to My Soon-to-Be Ex-Boyfriend Who Doesn't Believe Me When I Tell Him I Can Write Something This Short That Sums up Everything There Is to Say about Our Relationship, Our Future Together, and His Allegedly Legendary Sexual Organ’ 
I believe in this case the competition included the title in the word count and Ingrid clearly decided to have some fun with it. If you want to read the rest of this story you can do so here! You have to have real confidence in your writing to get away with something like that, but I'm sure it made the judges laugh!

 

 

I wish I could come up with such glorious titles as easily as clicking my fingers, but I can't. So here are some things I use to help me.
 
Take a line from the story. Fair warning, some people really disapprove of this, but as a reader I like it. That moment when the line appears in the story is like an 'aha' moment for me, inviting me in and making me feel part of the narrative.

You can also have the title form the opening of the story, or to give some information about the story (for example, the time, date or setting), such as in Six Things I'll Have Done By The Time You Wake Up by Jan Kaneen or It Was the Horse That Killed Her by Matt Kendrick. This can be particularly effective for micro and flash fiction where the word count is very tight. 
 
Look up hymns, proverbs, Shakespeare quotes - basically anything that is interesting and out of copyright. I frequently look at this proverb website for title inspiration, because proverbs are like tiny little stories in themselves. In this case, I just typed 'proverbs about birds' in the google search bar. Top tip - this is also something I do when I'm struggling to find an idea for a story! I might not use the proverb or phrase exactly as it is, but I find them a great jumping off point. 

List three objects from the story. I've done this in my novella-in-flash with a story about a Welsh lovespoon. My protagonist, Carys, is trapped in a turbulent marriage so The Chain, The Dragon, The Wooden Ball refers to both the carvings on the lovespoon, and serve as imagery about her state of mind. I like one word titles, but things tend to sound better in threes, so try it - three people, three places, three objects from your story. Pull them out and play around and see if anything fits.

If all else fails, there's always a random title generator, like this one
Okay, it's unlikely the you'll find the perfect words to match your story, but sometimes even one suggested word is enough to give you that lightbulb moment. 

 

One more thing about titles. We often hear that if you're entering a competition, or submitting to a journal, it's important that your title catches the eye of the judge or first reader. First readers are the people who receive the initial stories and sift them to ensure they follow the rules, and suggest which stories should go through to the next round. I've been a first reader for several competitions, as well as a judge, and I can honestly say that the title of a story has never swayed my decision either way. If I'm critiquing a friend's story I might point out an issue with a title, but in a professional judging capacity, I am really only interested in the content of the story. 

 

 

Finally, let me share one of the perils of choosing the right title with you. I was extremely delighted when one of my short stories won a competition in 2018. I was even invited to attend the ceremony. After saying a little bit about the piece, the judge then said, "I would like to invite Gaynor up to the stage now to share … well this doesn’t sound right…to share The Thing Between (her) Legs." Cue much laughter and me turning bright red en route to the podium! I love that title, because the story is very much about blunt language, and the way young women choose to describe their bodies but yeah… I could have done without the embarrassment!
 
Let me know if you have a favourite title and why, or any tips for helping me choose better ones that I can share, on gaynor@retreatwest.co.uk

Happy writing, 

Gaynor




No comments:

Post a Comment