Tuesday 21 March 2017

Cleckheaton Writers Group meeting 20 March 2017

Cleckheaton Writers Group took place last night where Alice, Andy and myself were in attendance, Sarah and Mandy having passed on their apologies.

The minutes from the last meeting were passed and we then gave updates on our writing progress since the last meeting.  I have written just over 1700 words of my WIP and, having attended a Wild Women workshop, written two poems and a short piece of prose.  On Friday I have received a nice rejection from Litro magazine and an email informing me that I was not selected for the HLF2017 poetry competition.  I also attended a 'Everything you ever wanted to know about publishing' event by SYP and informed all CWG members that the notes from this are up on my blog.  Alice has been editing her WIP and Andy has been working on a lot of different stories, not his main WIP.  The stories are true events from his old jobs etc. and he had brought some to share for feedback.

I kicked off the feedback session with the two poems I had written following the workshop and they were well received.  I am considering entering them into the inaugural Otley Poetry Prize competition.

Andy then shared three stories.  One was about an old job of his where a colleague got fired for being drunk on the job, one was a cautionary tale about employment agencies and the third was inspired by his A&E trip on Saturday night, entitled 'Blood Bath.'  I said that I felt the pieces could be put together to form an anthology of short stories or an autobiography of sorts and Andy told us about a time he had put forward a screenplay to Pozzitive Productions, along with a query letter, and it was read and replied to quickly.  He felt that his writing now fitted into the genre they had categorised back then.

I informed the group that I would be attending the Trinity University Writers Festival on Wednesday and that I would share my notes with any members who wished to see them.  Also, I gave a reminder that the deadline for stories for the CLF anthology was the end of March.

The next meeting of the CWG is scheduled for Monday 3 April, 5.30pm-7pm at Cleckheaton Library where both feedback sessions are available.

No comments:

Post a Comment