Sunday 2 April 2017

The Bridport Prize, deadline 31 May

With details of the Bridport Prize and upcoming competitions for April, here is the latest newsletter:


the Bridport Prize Newsletter - March 2017

                       


 
 
March 2017 Newsletter
 

Why writing competitions are important



Kit de Waal
 
Photo: Justine Stoddart
 
“The first success I ever had with my writing was an Honorary Mention (note the capital letters) ..”

With three months to go till the 2017 competition closes, Flash Fiction judge Kit de Waal muses on the benefits of creative writing competitions. Read Kit’s guest blog here 
 
 
 

What some of our 2016 winners say

 
It’s incredibly affirming to have a poem placed in a competition as prestigious as the Bridport. As well as the immense personal pleasure, it’s really satisfying to know that the few verses you’ve worked on in solitude for so long have communicated their essence, the meaning you wanted them to have, to someone else.
Caroline Price (UK) 3rd prize, poetry competition
 
Writing is a solitary business, and winning a prize for a story breaks into that. It means I’ve connected. Instantly I want to connect again.  And I want to do better than I’ve done.  A story prize is an invitation to keep writing, and to join storytellers everywhere.  What a crowd!
Kathleen Donkin (USA) – 2nd prize, short story competition
 
Over the years, success at Bridport has enhanced my confidence in my writing, and helped me to keep going. I landed a good teaching job partly because of my track record in the contests.

David Swann (UK) – 1st prize, flash fiction competition
 
Within a month of attending the lovely prize-giving event in Dorset I was signed up with the literary agency A M Heath. I am now working with 'my agent' (what a wonderful thing to be able to write!) and The Literary Consultancy (who, along with A M Heath, sponsor the Bridport), to hone my novel with the aim of getting it published.

S.M. Misra (UK) – 1st prize, Peggy Chapman-Andrews Award for a First Novel
 
 

Enter the competition now

 
Closing date: 31 May 2017 at midnight BST
 
Novel Award Entry
Poem Entry
 
 
Flash Fiction Entry
Short Story Entry
 
 

Be Inspired

 
Bridport Prize Anthologies
Read poems, stories and flash fiction from previous competition winners in our anthologies.

Available from just £3.

 
 

Congratulations

 
Bridport Prize Anthology 2016
To Karrim Jalali from London who won a copy of the 2016 anthology and had his fees refunded in our Valentine’s Day draw.


 
 

In April

 
Photo: John Rice
 
Short story judge Peter Hobbs will share his thoughts with us in a guest blog for our website.

 
 


 
 
Copyright © 2017 The Bridport Prize, All rights reserved.

           
 
 
 
The mission of the Bridport Prize is to encourage emerging writers and promote literary excellence
through its competition structure.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment