Sunday 20 October 2013

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn book review

Front Cover


My friend lent me this book on holiday and as it has been hailed as the ‘Thriller of the Year’ and there is already talk of a movie, I was expecting good things.  Sadly, I was disappointed because the main characters are just so unlikeable.

The main characters are Nick, a narcissistic, needy man with Daddy issues and Amy, a poor little rich girl control freak.  The main premise is that when Amy goes missing on their wedding anniversary, Nick is suspected of her murder and through Amy’s diary entries we build up a picture of their marriage from her point of view.  I expected dark and sinister characters, but instead got predictable and stereotypical.

I can see that this book probably does paint an accurate picture of some modern-day marriages where trust and deceit go hand in hand and I love the career-focussed twenty-something style of the on-trend magazine article writer, but the believability of the plot once the real truths emerge pushes too far and unfortunately I, as a reader, just didn’t care enough about the characters to root for either one of them.

 
There are two sides to every story....                                                                                    4/10


#GoneGirl

No comments:

Post a Comment