Write to us
Please adhere to these standard submission guidelines:
- The letter should be handwritten on a single side of A4 (or your local equivalent), and sent in the post, with a return address on the back of the envelope.
- You may include illustrations, and coffee stains. But please don’t fake the coffee stains; we’ll be able to tell.
- Enclose contact details on a separate sheet. A transcript may be requested.
- The letter should be addressed to a notional ‘reader’ (and should balance the tone of address between the ‘collective’ reader of a journal and the ‘individual’ reader of a forwarded letter); the letter should not address or refer to the editor.
- The letter should include some reference to the time/place of its writing and/or sending.
- The letter should be excellent. You may show your workings. Do not turn over the page.
- Your submission should be postmarked with a date no later than the stated deadline for submissions.
- A fee of £100 will be paid for each letter published.
- By submitting your letter you give us permission to reproduce photographic images of fragments of the letter and/or envelope on our website, without payment.
- Letters will not be returned, but copyright is retained by the author at all times.
- Address for submissions: The Letters Page, School of English, University of Nottingham, NG7 2RD, UK.