Tuesday 14 October 2014

Cleckheaton Writers Group meeting 13 October 2014

Another excellent meeting of the Cleckheaton Writers Group (CWG) last night where J, A, myself and new member M were in attendance, L, S, P, N and D having passed on their apologies.

We started out with introductions for our new member, who explained that she is a short story/travel writer with her own blog and that she has won the New Travel Writer of the Year Award - British Travel Writers Guild 2014 and was a finalist in the 2013 Bradt/Independent Travel Writing Award.

For our Work In Progress update, A has written another 40k on his children's story and I have begun plotting out for this years NaNoWriMo and have written one scene for this during a workshop I attended last week. 

There were two feedback sessions, first A with some historical fiction.  All the members thought it was a good mix of modern squaddie language with historical names etc. and we enjoyed the little touches of humour such as 'Hades teeth!' and references to barbarians without pants.  I shared the scene I had written of my potential NaNoWriMo novel and it was suggested that I change one of the words used for less high-brow language more in keeping with the character, but the members were intrigued and thought the story idea had enough legs to get it to the 50k challenge mark.

I fed back the information I had learned on my characterisation workshop with the members.  As part of the Morley Literature Festival, on Tuesday I attended a Martyn Bedford 2 hour event and I agreed to share with all CWG members the 'keys to characterization' sheet (blog post review to follow for those interested).

I informed the members that S, a fellow CWG member, wishes to have the second in his workshop series at the next meeting and this was agreed and will be tabled onto the agenda.

It was agreed that J, A and M would all take feedback slots for the next meeting and that they would either share their work prior to/or at the meeting, which will take place on Monday 27 October 2014 at 6-8pm in Cleckheaton Library.

No comments:

Post a Comment