Friday 14 February 2014

Valentine's Day

Happy Valentine's Day everyone....now, before you start wondering, thanks to my friend I found out today that in Peru Valentine's Day is a day not just for love, but for friendship.  My friend received text after text from her friends expressing their love for her friendship and I thought this was such a lovely concept.  I think we should think of something similar here.  Not a 'another reason for someone to force you to buy a present and card' day, but a taking the time to send a text, call or drop in to tell a friend how much you appreciate them.  That, would be a wonderful thing.

For my Valentine's celebration my husband took me for a lovely meal out last night to The White Hart at Pool and it was fantastic.  They had a Valentine's special deal on, four courses for £29.95:

Valentine's Menu
Download menu (pdf)

Glass of bubbles

Spiced butternut squash soup, with warmed rustic bread
Valentine’s platter to share: basil chicken skewers, lamb koftas, sticky ribs & flat bread
Chargrilled asparagus, free-range poached egg & hollandaise sauce (v)
Duck confit, game & port wine terrine, with plum & balsamic chutney & toasted brioche
Scallops of the day (+£3 supplement)

Champagne Sorbet

Pan-fried Seabass fillets, with olive tapenade and cherry tomato gnocchi
Roasted lamb rump with butternut squash ratatouille on a potato rosti topped with lemon gremolata
Corn-fed chicken supreme, oyster mushroom and smoked pancetta sauce, crushed potatoes with lemon & parsley
Mushroom and blue cheese risotto topped with toasted walnuts (v)
28 day dry-aged Casterbridge ribeye steak & hand-cut triple cooked chips (+£5 supplement)
16oz Chateaubriand, hand-cut triple cooked chips, roasted mushrooms & tomatoes (to share +£7.50 supplement each)

Home-made crêpes with strawberries steeped in Grand Marnier with vanilla ice cream
Chocolate brownie, vanilla ice cream & chocolate sauce
Sharing plate of dessert: Earl Grey crème brûlée, chocolate brownie, sticky toffee pudding, apple & blackcurrant crumble
Cheeseboard: Sussex Blue, Tornegus, award-winning Cornish Brie, homemade red onion jam & biscuits


I chose the scallops, lamb and crêpes and my husband chose the duck confit, ribeye and chocolate brownie.  The glass of prosecco was a lovely start to the meal, with our complimentary bruschetta and both the starters were amazing.  I love the scallops at The White Hart, I order them every time I go for they are perfect in their buttery fall apart at a touch-ness.  The lamb was also just right in tenderness and went well with the potato rosti.  I was a little disappointed with my dessert as the crêpes turned out to be just the one and it was a bit soggy, but my husband's chocolate brownie was rich and full.

I highly recommend and as the offer runs until tomorrow, there is still time to indulge.

No comments:

Post a Comment