Monday 8 July 2013

Cleckheaton Writers Group 8/7/2013

At the CWG meeting tonight D, P and I were in attendance (N passed on his apologies).  We discussed where we were all at with our writing.  D explained that she is working on her final draft of TSC before she sends it to her prospective agent for the second time.  P informed us that she has started on the writing challenge.  I told the members that I am currently undertaking the third edit of Thorde.

P shared her copies of Writing Magazine and Writers Forum where we found some interesting free competitions and relevant articles on subjects such as 'writing a series.'

We discussed the ten shortlisted entries of the Munch competition that have been announced and we agreed with P that N's story is far better than all of them.  This led on to a fascinating discussion in that P had seen an article in a writing magazine informing writers never to use 'ly' words and in the same magazine, a competition winning entry author not only used a plethora of 'ly' words, but also began to 'tell not show' a third of the way into her winning short story.

D informed the members that there has been a reading of the new Neil Gaiman story on Radio 4 and that it would still be available to listen again should anyone wish to.

I reminded D and P that I would be attending the Theakstons Old Peculiar Crime Writing Festival in Harrogate shortly and I gave them information on a free writing workshop Anna Turner is running in Bradford next Tuesday:

Tuesday 16 July, 2 – 5 pm
Writing Workshop for Adults at Bradford Gallery 1
Free - booking essential - phone  01274 437800

‘Inspired by Bradford’: Take a short walk through the city centre with Anna Turner and open your senses to the stories around and within you.  We will then use this material in a short story writing workshop. Bring a notebook and pen.
 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Karen, Good comments about our meeting. However, with reference to my comments about the 'ly' words in a winning story I'd read, I commented that the story began to 'tell not show' a third of the way into her winning short story and not as you indicated, 'show not tell'.
    It was the telling rather than showing as well as the 'ly' wordds that spoilt the story for me.

    Looking forward to the next meeting.

    All the best. P

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, sorry, spelling mistake - 'wordds' should read words. :-) Px

      Delete
  3. I am so ingrained with 'show not tell' that I wrote it automatically when I obviously meant 'tell not show.' Will edit my post now. Thanks, K x

    ReplyDelete