Wednesday 13 February 2013

Dialogue workshop

Michael Stewart of the University of Huddersfield kindly invited D and I to a couple of his creative writing workshops and I thought I would share these valuable nuggets of information with my followers.

DIALOGUE

Good dialogue should: have subtext (what is being said as opposed to what is being meant), surprise us (not be predictable), unique to the speaker (though be careful not to get so carried away it turns into pastiche), NEVER be used as exposition, establish character, establish hierarchy, move the plot forward, raise questions.

Dialogue is the greatest way to show character.

Michael will be running a creative writing workshop as part of the Huddersfield Literature Festival.  For further information www.litfest.org.uk I will be booking myself on this.

Looking forward to hearing all about D's workshop on Characterisation at Monday's Cleckheaton Writers Group.


1 comment:

  1. And I'm looking forward to hearing more about the dialogue workshop at our next meeting :)

    ReplyDelete