Saturday 20 October 2012

Rock of Ages film review

Took my friend L to see Rock of Ages this week and we were very surprised by it.  I had forgotten that it was an actual musical (I had thought it was just a film with added rock music), but once we got into it, we quite enjoyed it. 

Rock of Ages stars Julianne Hough (Footloose) as Sherrie Cristian, a small town girl who moves to hollywood to realise her dreams of becoming a singer.  She meets Drew Boley (Diego Boneta - 90210) who gets her a job in the famous Bourbon Club owned by Dennis Dupree (William Baldwin).  The Bourbon Club is due to have Stacee Jaxx (Tom Cruise) play his final gig before going solo.

I really enjoyed the fantastic versions of some of my favourite rock tunes and was surprised by the performances of three of the actors.  I was intrigued by Tom Cruise's singing (he sounds a bit on the feminine side when he sings, but no more so than Axl Rose) and I was really shocked that I enjoyed Russell Brands' Lonny, even though I normally dislike him.  His character arc was one of the funniest parts of the movie, second only to Catherine Zeta-Jones' excellent performance as frigid politicians wife Patricia Whitmore, who is spearheading a campaign to rid the town of the Bourbon Club.  She has a worrying obsession with Stacee Jaxx which plays out predictably.

I think the best way to sum this film up is 'so bad, it's good' and it was just what L and I needed to take our minds out of real life.  This film may still prove to be a surprise cult hit in later life.

Tagline: 'Nothin' but a good time'                    6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment